Sunday, August 10, 2008

Why don't we go to the beach more often?

Lake Washington, Lake Union, the Ship Canal, Salmon Bay, Shilshole Bay, Elliott Bay, the Puget Sound, the Straight of Juan de Fuca, the Pacific Ocean, water infuses everything here. We come in contact with it every single day. I walk along the Ship Canal most days on my way to work. Before she began working with plants, Wing Nut would daily cross the Ship Canal and walk along Lake Union on her way to  work. Perhaps because of this constant daily contact, we hardly ever go to the beach. In the four years we've lived here we've been to the beach maybe four times. And we've yet to dip our toes in the Pacific Ocean.

So today when we woke up expecting clouds and rain, but instead found blue skies and sunshine, we decided it was time to feel the sand under our bare feet--no socks, no sandals. Diva Dog isn't much of a swimmer--she's actually a bit of a drama queen when it comes to getting her paws wet. But she does enjoy all the interesting smells and a good game of chase.

P1010339

P1010339rev2

We strolled on the warm sand. We dipped our toes in the chilly water. We sat and enjoyed feeling the warmth of the sun on our faces.

P1010341rev

We even found some cool purple rocks.

P1010299uym

As we headed back to the car we both had the same thought. We're going to make an effort to get to the beach more often.

--Curmudgeon

10 comments:

Celia Hart said...

You've got awesome beaches! I wish I lived as near to them as you do. If you haven't already been, I can recommend the beaches at La Push on the Olympic Peninsula.

They're just the other side of the mountains – go visit the beaches for me!
Celia

Frances, said...

Hi Wenches, it must be true about being surrounded by water makes you not that excited about it. But it appears your visit there was quite enjoyable, for all three. Did toosies get wet? ;->

Anonymous said...

Good for you all!!! There's nothing like the ocean (and of course you have to be barefoot)! What great photos of Diva Dog. Don't tell me she wasn't having a grand time!

Curmudgeon said...

Hi Celia! We haven't been that far out on the Olympic Penninsula yet. We're planning a weekend get-away and are looking into heading out that way!

Hi Frances! Yes indeed, tootsies did get wet--even Diva Dog's. It was mighty chilly though.

Hi there OFB! Diva Dog was overjoyed to go someplace new. She tired herself out and slept the rest of the day away!

Anonymous said...

Diva Dog is beautiful!
Who bred her?

VP said...

I've been to the beach today too - 60 miles away! On a day trip to celebrate a friends retirement. We want to go again and sooooooon....

Anonymous said...

I grew up on the Gulf coast of Florida, and I miss the water. You are lucky to be so close and in such a great gardening area. Diva Dog is bee-yoo-tee-ful!

www.mysisterdalesgarden.com said...

You mentioned many places i'm familiar with. my husband and i lived on lake union. we miss the sea planes and the activity on the lake---we now are in southern california desert. i can't say i miss seattle weather. come and check out my garden (i couldn't get anything to grow in seattle)at www.mysisterdalesgarden.com and www.mysisterdalesgarden.blogspot.com

Mother Nature said...

I am glad to have your blog so I can longingly look at the beach. Wish I was there.

Kerri said...

Ah, thank you for this trip to the beach. I'll just pretend I'm strolling along with you two and Diva Dog, feeling the sand between my toes, tasting a bit of salt spray, and smelling the sea air. I used to live at a beach on the other side of the Pacific, but your side will do just fine :)