Sunday, June 1, 2008

Garden Bloggers' Muse Day--June 2008

P1010200rev

I spy a blackberry vine. Can you find it? How many dandelions can you count? For more GBMD posts check out Sweet Home and Garden Chicago.

BACKYARD OPERA

I march through the yard with a hard eye,

yanking weeds, asserting a path,

incensed by the relentless advance

of honeysuckle and morning glory vines

weaving under everything like an insidious subtext,

determined to have their loopy, insensible say

even as I slash them back, seeking their polyphonous source,

my finite gestures meaning nothing to them,

as they know I will tire, drift back into the house

and forget our duet for days, even weeks,

letting them spin their tales, full of plot twists,

almost orchestrating my little bench into their melody,

so that when I finally cut back a spot and sit,

and the chimes pick up a phrase of wind,

it becomes clear I am just a half note of silence,

a pause in the longer song.

--Aleida Rodríguez, Garden of Exile, 1999

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This poem expresses how I often feel about gardening. Mother Nature will win despite my efforts.

Jan
Always Growing

Jared said...

Curmudgeonly indeed! But, gosh, what a great poem. I have to look up more about Aleida Rodriguez. Thanks for posting it!

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

What a great poem. Thanks for sharing. Your veg plot looks good.

Annie in Austin said...

Now that was fun! I should be playing a duet with the danged asiatic jasmine, but it's nearly one hundred degrees out there so the stuff is "weaving under everything like an insidious subtext". What a line. Thanks WWWenches!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Rose said...

Great poem! I've never read this one before, but it fits me to a T!
Love all your blue flowers in Saturday's post. I'm always looking for more blue in the garden.

Sweet Home and Garden Carolina said...

Thanks, WWW, and sorry to be late to acknowledge your great contribution to GBMD. The poem is very lovely.