Sunday, May 25, 2008

Sitting on a bag of mulch

Warm sunshine, light breeze, not a cloud in the sky. A day as near to perfect as I can imagine. I went out to the hillside with the intention of tackling the mulching--the bags were stacked up waiting for me. And of course once I got out there I saw weeds. So back inside I went to get the hand tools. Set with one of my favorite implements of weed whackin' destruction I headed back up. When I got to the top of the hill and looked down I was mesmerized by the riot of colors and textures. I just plopped myself down on the nearest bag of mulch and took it all in.  I don't do that nearly enough--just sit and enjoy.

P1010143

Just as the bottom of the hill starts to fade--daffodils, tulips, bluebells, lilacs--the top of the hill calls out, "Hey, ignore those fading beauties. They're all washed out. Look at us in our Spring finery!" I love looking up from the bottom of the hill first thing in the morning. Everything glows as the sun filters through the different colors and textures of foliage.

 P1010138rev

9 comments:

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hello you two crazy gals !
No wonder you just sat down and enjoyed those beautiful flowers .. I would too !
I have a new weeder that absolutely demolishes dandelions. You get to be standing up when you pump the peddle to haul the entire rotten thing out of the ground .. made by Fiskers so it is a keeper for sure .. it almost makes weeding fun ? LOL
Great pictures !
Joy

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

How pretty. Lucky the mulch was handy as a seat.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it a beautiful time of year? Soon it will be hot. It's already terribly humid here. But the spring was lovely.
Brenda

@JeanAnnVK said...

You had sunshine????? We have been under heavy clouds and rain for days, with more to come. I am not happy. Seriously. I will tell you that I planted purple tomatillos and purple plum tomatoes. You have to have at least one purple tomato, no? I have been so busy that I realized I only had two posts all of last week. Man, I am slipping...have to get back on track, pronto...take care you guys...miss chatting...but I suppose it is that time of year.

gintoino said...

Just beautiful! What are those wonderful pink flowers?

Curmudgeon said...

Hi Joy. We saw a display of Fiskars gardening tools at the Northwest Garden Show back in Feb. Wing Nut fell in love with a pair of pruners she said felt wonderful in her hand. I figured since it didn't have a price posted we probably couldn't afford it! But will have to look for the slayer of dandelions.

Greetings Aung Debbi. Yes, it was handy but I have a few splinters you know where. Ouch!

I wish we'd warm up just a tad here Brenda. The peppers and tomatoes are out and I worry about them at night. Our nights remain very cool well into June.

Hey Jean Ann. We had sun Sat. AND Sun. It was wonderful. I love the purple tomatillos. We couldn't find those this year. Usually we get them at the Tilth plant sale but we missed that this year.

Greetings gintoino. The pinkish flowers are 'lavender lass' verbascum. Oh guess what! My purple oxalis has made a comeback. I recall admiring yours a while back.

Anonymous said...

Glad you took time to sit and enjoy - it looks wonderful.
Regards
Karen

walk2write said...

You're right. Not enough time to enjoy the things we planted for our enjoyment! Where's the justice? I love the reddish plant in the left corner of your last picture. Is is a heuchera? I've been admiring those for a few years and think I might have to get a few for the north side of the house to go with the hostas.

Bonnie Story said...

That second shot is especially gorgeous, ladies. Great light! That must be a Heuchera, that is so pretty. Your garden is immaculate. I'm impressed, each plant is so very "present"... great color combos. I hear that we are in for a very nice weekend weather-wise! Yee-haw! Look out Canadian Thistle!