Thursday, May 1, 2008

Rollicking Rhubarb

P1010258 

Rhubarb Tart
by Monty Python


I want another slice of rhubarb tart.
I want another lovely slice.
I'm not disparaging the blueberry pie
But rhubarb tart is oh so very nice.
A rhubarb what? A rhubarb tart!
A whatbarb tart? A rhubarb tart!
I want another slice of rhubarb tart!

The principles of modern philosophy
Were postulated by Descartes.
Discarding everything he wasn't certain of
He said 'I think therefore I am a rhubarb tart.'
A rhubarb what? A rhubarb tart!
A Rene who? Rene Descartes!
Poor nut he thought he was a rhubarb tart!

Read all the existentialist philosophers,
Like Schopenhauer and Jean-Paul Sartre.
Even Martin Heidegger agrees on one thing:
Eternal happiness is rhubarb tart.
A rhubarb what? A rhubarb tart!
A Jean-Paul who? A Jean-Paul Sartre!
Eternal happiness is rhubarb tart.

A rhubarb tart has fascinated all the poets.
Especially the immortal bard.
He caused Richard the Third to call on Bosworth Field:
'My kingdom for a slice of rhubarb tart!'
A rhubarb what? A rhubarb bard!
Immortal what? Immortal tart!
As rhymes go that is really pretty bard!

9 comments:

Frances, said...

HA, that was priceless. Aren't they just the most brilliant group?

Frances at Faire Garden

Anonymous said...

Ha!!!!!!!!!! This is priceless! And I agree, my kingdom for a slice of rhubarb tart! (Though admittedly, I love fresh blueberry tart even more, especially with tons of whipped cream!)

Barbee' said...

Wooo Hooo, that is some rhubarb bloom. Everyone is writing about rhubarb. Makes me hungry.

@JeanAnnVK said...

Hilarious! We are of the same mind in the world of rhubarb! Sorry to be so silent of late, trying to deal with the big changes!!

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

ROTFL and can I have a slice of rhubarb tart?

archivesinfo said...

I just planted my first rhubarb. I hope when it grows that it inspires me to write poetry too!

VP said...

Great rhubarb photo!

Great song!

I also like Prairie Home Companion's Ree bob a rhubarb, rhubarb pie :)

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Absolutely loved that one !
I wonder what my philosophy prof would have thought of that too ? LOL
Joy

Annie in Austin said...

We just had Life of Brian rented so I was in the mood for more Monty Python! Thanks, WWWenches!
Rhubarb won't even grow in my part of Texas - not enough cold resting time for the roots.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose